Friday, February 18, 2011

Puking nimbostratus and highway closures

     The day before we planned to drive to Winnipeg the almighty snow gods unleashed their fury. Like a first year university student after a night of tequila, cement mixers and beer, the clouds spewed out great heavy chunks of snow chunder. The winds whipped with such savagery, visibility was a big fat zero and the highway we intended to take was closed.
     A friend who works as a paramedic called to let me know why she hadn't gone to yoga class that night.
     "My first mistake, you see, was putting my yoga clothes on in the first place. I knew that I'd get called in."
      "Was it a bad accident then?" I warily inquired.
     "It was out by Austin and we took two ambulances from Souris and another two came from the central region. The trucks had to crawl side by side along the highway until we found the accident. You couldn't see a thing."
     "Fantastic," I thought. Gay resort or no, with an Alberta clipper in full force, chances were that we wouldn't be going anywhere. "Oh God that would suck!" I pouted. One of my friends had just come back from a sunny, wonderful week in Manzanillo and had had a blast. Remembering how she'd described the water, beaches, margaritas and sunshine made my heart ache. Mouth gaping at the window, ("why bother to close it, it was too bloody cold for flies to get in anyhow?" I though miserably),  I reminisced about one of our conversations.
     "You're going to a gay resort?!" Lisa snorted. I just rolled my eyes. "What does Trevor think?"
     "Well, he's not too pleased with the idea to say the least." I scoffed
     "That makes me think about a game we played at our resort." Lisa giggled "It was called 'Scruples'."
     "How does it go?" I imagined crazy dares to jump naked into the pool, or chug a muy grande cerveza."
     "You have to answer questions about what you would do in certain situations."
     My fantasy about pasty white tourists doing naked cannon balls with hands tucked into their butt-cracks faded.
     "You know, like questions about your situation: If you were given a free vacation but it was at a gay resort, would you still go?" She laughed again. It was so easy to make Lisa laugh. Having a conversation with her was effortless.
     "Well, would you?" I asked in earnest.
     "I'd have to think about it." She answered diplomatically.
                                                                         ***
     "Absolutely NOT!" Marilyn stopped typing when I asked her Lisa's scruples question and looked me straight in the eye. "I'd take the hit on the ticket and stay right here."
     "Really? You really wouldn't go?"
     "No way," She reiterated "there will always be other trips to Mexico...Ones that don't involve staying at a gay resort."
     "Wouldn't that seem ungrateful though?" I thought aloud.
     "How thoughtful would it be to book you into a gay resort in the first place?" She conjectured and resumed her work on the computer.
     I had to admit, the Devil's advocate had made a point, but still- it seemed kinda shallow to judge an entire vacation solely by the resort...but then again, Marilyn had good cause to be choosy about where she stayed while vacationing. The first family trip she'd booked in Mexico had been so uncomfortable it had forever altered her impression of vacation-booking and travel agents.
     All speculation and scrupling aside, with the weather the way it was, it looked like I would never get the chance to see sunshine, sand or surf this winter....only snow snow and more freakin' snow!

Here is a recording of the vomit from above, taken by another concerned home-towner. Blech! 


http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/620/3991425/1/camb0194/plpcities/?ref=ugc_city_thumbs

1 comment:

  1. :) I of course find this all more than a little humorous. I am sure the resort is find and look forward to finding out if Trev is "drowning in sausage" but as most of my gay friends are wicked awesome and I will let them babysit my child anytime I am sure that it would be an amazing vacation anyways!!

    ReplyDelete